Sunday, July 6.....

I started making some headway this week with the planning and preparing for the trip this year. Yesterday, I took Leben swimming in Middleburg after a few hours at Dean and Deluca.  After that, we drove a couple of hours out to a camp in West Virginia to see how he would do on the road.  He did fine.  Unfortunately, today he took a step down when he could not use his wheelchair after a few hours at Dean and Deluca.  I'm not sure whether yesterday was too much activity for him and he just needs to rest up or whether what I am seeing in him today is permanent.  If it is permanent, I fear that he has lost all he had left of a pleasant life.  That dog has been such an important part of my life these last 13 years.  The thought of losing him just kills me.  I don't know whether taking this trip will be a good thing for him. I will continue to prepare for the trip and then decide the day we have to get on the road.  I won't even think about the option of taking the trip without him. 

No comments: