Days 7-8, wednesday-thursday, september 10-11, Killarney Provincial Park, ontario, 1136 miles

Left Champlain Provincial Park at 10:30 and en route to Killarney stopped and ordered a new AC blower from rovers north for delivery to me at Fed Ex in thunder bay, 6 days from now.  If the drive across the Canadian plains threatens to be as brutally hot as the three other times i drove it before, i'll get it installed in Winnipeg.  If not, i will wait until i am back in the states and ready to drive home.  In any event, i will have it if i need it.

The rains came as we made our way to killarney, and did not stop until about midnight.  If 0 is sprinkle, 5 drizzle, and 10 downpour, this was a 6-7.  I set up the tarp to keep erde dry, but she constantly wandered beyond it, oblivous to the rain or the trouble a wet dog causes me.  As it turns out, she and the nylon bed i set out for her where the main things that got wet, she was allowed in the tent only after she was toweled off, and things were fine after that.  This tent is so warm that she had one of her heavy breathing bouts, so i slept with the screen door only.  Because she consumed almost 2 quarts of water during the night, i took her out for a walk at 2 am, but had to drag her back in when she plopped herself down on the cold earth expecting to stay there for the rest of the night.  I might have left her there, teethered to a long leash, except that black bears are frequent visitors to this camp.

We are camped right next to where we camped two years ago here, and so there are a lot if flashbacks for me,  two years ago, the permanent chipmunks here got the dogs moving,whereas now they only get erde's undivided attention.  I also visited the spot by the shore where leben fell, and realized what stoic dog he really was to have hiked with me then.  He always wanted to be with me, no matter what the price he had to pay.

My cable for my iPad went dead on me today.  Fortunately, i brought along a spare.  Good planning.

 The temperature this morning was 54 and it reached only 64 today. Its 4pm and the temp is now 60, and dropping. They say tonight it will get cold.  I think i will pull out my gloves and wool cap, just in case.

Tomorrow, we are off to Lake Superior where the temp is colder still.  Global warming has ended. Global freezing is here.

Photos include.....Erde contemplating the view at Killarney; chipmunk contemplating the Defender at killarney (after i took this photo, he jumped up into the chasis and explored the Defender. I hope he had the good sense to leave.)




Ed and Erde, On The Road

P.S. Sorry for any errors in this message or posting.  The iPad spellcheck is not known for its attention to detail.


No comments: