Day 35, Wednesday, Otober 8, Elwha Camp in Olymoic National Park, Washington, 5555 miles so far.

Had had wonderful view of the full moon at Les and Sue's Good Karma Spring camp as i worked on the blog last night. 

Erde woke me at about 3:00 a.m. for a walk.  With that bear probably hanging around, i made it quick, although Erde was in no hurry. 

Made it to the ferry with about 15 minutes to spare.  Felt a sadness to be leaving Canada after such a wonderful visit, but the road beckoned, so we moved on.  I was sorry to have to leave Erde alone in the Defender for the 90-minute  ferry ride to Port Angeles, but was relieved to discover that pets are allowed on the ship.  Nothing like the time leaving Labrador on the cargo ship where Leben and Erde had to stay on the open deck in a storm, when I wrapped myself in a tarp and spent the night -  a cold, wet night -  right next to them.

I cannot believe how good this trip had been to develop a totally new relationship with Erde.  I was always so used to her as a team, and now the bond is bilateral instead of trilateral.

The ferry unloaded almost an hour later than i had planned.  We did not get on the road until 6:45 and the sun was about to go down.  I had about a 45 minute drive ahead if me to my target for the night, Klahowya Nationak Forest Rain Forest, so when I came to the sign for Elwah Camp in Olympic National Park, i decided to bivouac there for the night.  We did not make it to the camp until 7:30 and its location deep in the foresf gave me no usabke light at all, so i had to set up camp using thr Defender's headlights. Not an easy thing to do.  My tent was not made to be set up in the dark.  

Chatted for a bit with the one of the two other campers in the camp, Austin from Mississippi, a young man who seems to have his priorities right.  In his cozy little Ford pickup he is traveling the country for adventure alone.  I suggested he get himself either a dog or a mannequin for a travel companion. (In 2000 on my way back from Alaska with Sonntag, I was chatting with another young man at a rest stop for a time, and i told him he had better get back to his companion who sat patiently -motionless, really-  in his car about 50 feet away from us. When he took me to introduce me to her, I discovered that she was actually a mannequin he found very good company. What works, I guess, works.)

That's my report for today.

Photos for today..

Stopped of at Cathedral Grove as we left Port Alberni.  Last year here were met up with Nicholas, Michele, Rudy and Kyra, a 14-year old German shepherd in a wheelchair. Meeting them was the highlight of the trip.
 

Erde at Quadra Park outside the ferry station...she always seems tk be willing to pose..


Erde waiting in the hold of the ferry, until i discovered that she was allowed on the ferry deck.  She made it up the step flight of steps going up, but i had to carry her down the 30 or so steep steps.  Not an easy thing to do.

---------

Ed and Erde, On The Road

P.S. Sorry for any errors in this message or posting.  The iPad spellcheck is not known for its attention to detail.



No comments: